International Student Services

Change to F-1 Status

Applicants in the United States on a valid visa may be eligible to apply for a change of status to F-1 International Student while remaining in the United States.

Your first step is to apply to Los Angeles Pierce College (LAPC). Complete and submit the LAPC International Student Application. Then submit the supplement documents listed in the Application Checklist by the deadline date. Allow up to two weeks processing time once all documents are received.

Admitted students will receive an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status from LAPC. The student can then submit an I-539 Form to apply for a change of status through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Students requiring assistance with change of status filing through USCIS will need to contact an immigration attorney.

Certain visa types allow students to attend the college while waiting for the F-1 change of status to be adjudicated. Other visa types do not allow enrollment at the college until the applicant is granted F-1 student status.

Find us on

Skype: iss.piercecollege
Live Chat