International Student Services

English Proficiency Requirement

International student applicants must provide proof of English language proficiency as part of the application process. 

Information about our credit level English as a Second Language (ESL) courses is also listed below. Enrollment in credit level ESL courses requires some basic English proficiency.

Proof of Proficiency

LAPC accepts the following exams listed below. Submit an official score report to the college. Some reports must be sent directly from the testing agency while others can uploaded with your application supplemental documents.

If English is your native language, or if you attended two or more years of secondary school or higher where English was the primary language of instruction, submit your official school transcripts as proof of English language proficiency.

If you completed college level English Composition at a U.S. regionally accredited college or university with a minimum "C" grade, you may submit your transcripts as proof of English proficiency.  

LAPC has partnerships with language schools in the U.S. The college accepts completion of approved English as a Second Language (ESL) courses as proof of English proficiency. Contact our office for more information about conditional admission via language school partnerships.

If you completed an approved ESL course, submit your official transcript from the language school. The approved courses are listed below. 

International students are eligible to enroll in credit level English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at LAPC. These courses count for unit credit and prepare the student for academic reading and writing. Some of the advanced level ESL courses are accepted for transfer by universities. 

Enrolling in credit level ESL classes requires some basic English proficiency. We encourage applicants to take one of our accepted English proficiency exams to determine admissions eligibility. Some of these exams are offered online for your convenience.

International students who need to take ESL classes may take them along with their academic program courses. Many students find this beneficial because they can start taking major related coursework with ESL classes.

Pierce issues I-20s for academic programs only. This includes Associates Degrees and Certificates of Completion. The college does not currently issue I-20s for ESL courses alone. View our college catalog for a list of our degrees and certificates. 

If you have any questions, please contact our office for more information.

Find us on

Skype: iss.piercecollege
Live Chat