International Student Services

Employment Options for F-1 Students

On-Campus Employment

International students may be eligible to work on-campus after successful completion of their first semester, defined as passing and completing 12 units with a minimum 2.0 or "C" grade point average (GPA). Job candidates are required to present an Employment Permission Letter issued by ISS to apply for on-campus jobs. To obtain an Employment Permission Letter visit the International Student Services (ISS) Office to complete the On-Campus Employment Permission Request form. Job searching should begin only after an Employment permission letter has been granted. Please note that employment is not guaranteed, and is based upon individual department funding and the availability of positions.

If you are able to find on-campus employment, complete these application steps. Keep in mind that each office/department may have different processing times for documents:

  1. Visit the ISS front desk to pick up an Employment Verification form.
  2. Ask your new supervisor to complete Section 1 Employer Information area of the form.
  3. Return the form to ISS, so that a Designated School Official (DSO) can complete the section Section 2 F-1 Status Verification verifying your F-1 status.
  4. If you do not have a Social Security Number, visit a Social Security Administration Office and apply for a Social Security number using the completed Employment Verification Form, passport, F-1 Visa, and I-94.
  5. Visit the Los Angeles Pierce College (LAPC) Personnel Office to complete the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) employment forms and schedule an appointment for fingerprinting.
  6. You may only start working once your assignment has been cleared by the LAPC Personnel Office.

Off-Campus Employment

Practical training can provide valuable work experience in your field of study. LAPC offers Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT). Informational workshops on both CPT and OPT are offered every semester.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

You may be eligible to work part-time while you are studying, if practical training is an integral part of your program curriculum. Practical training may be an integral part of your curriculum if:
1) Your major requires you to enroll in a practical training course to graduate (e.g. Nursing, Child Development or Veterinary Technology),or
2) You enroll in a Cooperative Education or Directed Studies class in order to receive course credit for practical training experience.

To be eligible to apply, a student must complete one academic year in his/her program. Eligible students may submit the application once they are enrolled in the appropriate course and have secured part-time employment related to their major. You may only start working on your approved CPT start date stated on your Form I-20.

Post-Completion OPT

Once you complete your degree at LAPC, you may be eligible to work full-time for up to 12 months in a job related to your major. Eligible students are encouraged to apply during the last semester of their program. Post-Completion OPT requires United States Citizenship and Immigration Services approval in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You may start working on the employment start date you receive from DHS.

Find us on

Skype: iss.piercecollege
Live Chat