CALIFORNIA DREAM ACT
Signed into law in October 2001, California Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) is a bill that provides an exemption to pay non-resident tuition for students who have attended high school in California and received a high school diploma or its equivalent. Students must meet the specific requirements in order to be exempt from paying non-resident tuition.
The California Dream Act is the result of two bills that were passed in 2011 and allow AB540 students to apply for and receive several types of financial aid programs such as: private scholarships funded through public universities, state administered financial aid, university grants, California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver), and Cal Grants.
Below are programs available for undocumented/Dreamer students at Los Angeles Pierce College:
- California College Promise Grant (CCPG)
- Cal Grant Programs for AB 540 eligible students
- Student Success Completion Grant (Students must be receiving full time payment for Cal Grant to receive SCG Grant)
- California Dream Act Service Incentive Grant Program (DSIG) (Students must be receiving Cal Grant B award and perform volunteer work)
- Assistance from EOPS, CARE or CalWORKs (Assistance with Books and Educational Supplies, etc.)
- Chafee Grant
- Institutionally-funded scholarships
How to apply for California Dream Act financial aid?
- Completion of the California Dream Act application by March 2nd each year. Your application will be processed by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). The California Dream Act Application is not an application for Federal financial aid. Do not complete the California Dream Act application if you are eligible to complete the FAFSA.
Application is available on October 1st each year. Be sure to fill out the correct application year.
- For the 2023-2024 academic year (Fall 2023, Spring 2024) - complete the 2023-2024 CA Dream Application
Los Angeles Pierce College school code is: 001226.
Links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) and/or Los Angeles Pierce College (LAPC) of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. The Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) and/or Los Angeles Pierce College (LAPC) bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.